Understanding P0374 Timing Reference High Resolution Signal Intermittent/Erratic Pulses
If you’re a vehicle owner, you may have come across the P0374 Timing Reference High Resolution Signal Intermittent/Erratic Pulses error code. This code can be frustrating as it can affect the performance of your engine, leading to reduced fuel efficiency and increased emissions.
In this article, we’ll be discussing everything you need to know about the P0374 error code, from what it means to how it can be fixed.
What is the P0374 Error Code?
The P0374 error code is a generic powertrain code that indicates a problem with the high-resolution signal coming from the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. This code is often accompanied by other error codes such as P0335, P0336, P0340, and P0341.
The high-resolution signal is crucial for the engine’s timing system to function correctly. It allows the engine control module (ECM) to determine the exact position of the camshaft and crankshaft, which is necessary for proper ignition timing, fuel injection, and overall engine performance.
What Causes the P0374 Error Code?
The P0374 error code is usually caused by one of the following issues:
- Faulty Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor: A malfunctioning camshaft or crankshaft position sensor can cause inaccurate readings of the high-resolution signal, leading to the P0374 error code.
- Wiring Issues: Damaged or corroded wiring can interfere with the signal between the position sensor and the ECM, leading to an intermittent or erratic signal.
- Failed ECM: In rare cases, a failed ECM can cause the P0374 error code.
How Can I Fix the P0374 Error Code?
Depending on the underlying cause of the P0374 error code, there are several ways to fix it. Here are some of the most common fixes:
- Replace Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor: If the position sensor is faulty, it will need to be replaced. This will require the help of a professional mechanic who can diagnose the issue and replace the sensor.
- Repair or Replace Wiring: If the issue is with the wiring, it may be possible to repair or replace the affected wires. This will require a thorough inspection of the wiring system and may also require the help of a professional mechanic.
- Replace ECM: In rare cases, a failed ECM may need to be replaced. This will require a professional mechanic to diagnose the issue and replace the ECM.
The P0374 Timing Reference High Resolution Signal Intermittent/Erratic Pulses error code is a common issue that can affect engine performance. It is usually caused by a malfunctioning camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, wiring issues, or a failed ECM.
If you’re experiencing the P0374 error code, it’s important to have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic to determine the underlying cause and find the best solution.
- Can a DIYer fix the P0374 error code?
Answer: It’s not recommended for a DIYer to fix the P0374 error code as it requires specialized knowledge and tools.
- How much does it cost to fix the P0374 code?
Answer: The cost of fixing the P0374 error code depends on the underlying cause and the labor rates of your mechanic. It can range from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.
- Can I still drive my vehicle with the P0374 error code?
Answer: It’s not recommended to drive your vehicle with the P0374 error code as it can affect engine performance and lead to more severe issues.
- Does the P0374 error code affect fuel efficiency?
Answer: Yes, the P0374 error code can affect fuel efficiency as it can lead to improper ignition timing and fuel injection.
- Can the P0374 error code be prevented?
Answer: The P0374 error code can be prevented by regularly maintaining your vehicle’s camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and wiring system.